Sunday, August 23, 2009

The boy who doesn't sleep

Yep, that's him. Isn't he cute, bright eyed and bushy tail after another night of no sleep? The night of my last post Caden did sleep through the night. Apparently, two nights in a row was not in Caden's plans. He woke up at 11:30pm last night after going to bed at 8:30pm. We tried CIO (crying it out), which only lasted 20 minutes before he threw up in his crib. He was so worked up, crying hysterically and sweating profusely. CIO will simply not work for us. He did not fall back asleep until sometime before 3am. I did try sneaking him back into his crib after he fell asleep, but he wanted nothing do with it.

This morning I woke up with a foot resting on my cheek around 7am. I think it was Caden's way of saying "good morning, Mommy! It's time to get up now!", and so we did.

Ryan and I have been talking about what could be causing him to wake up like this. Bad dreams? Maybe. I noticed he was really warm last night - not feverish though. Another thought could be too little sleep or too much sleep during the day. This did happen last Tuesday when he only had one nap and I imagine he was up around 11:30am from his morning nap (and back to bed at 7:30pm). Eight hours is a long stretch for him to be awake. On the other hand taking a late afternoon nap might be too much.

Our attempt is to start the transition to one nap a day. Which means he needs to take the morning nap a little bit later. Instead of going down for a nap at 10am, we are going to try and keep him up until 11 or 12pm. This will be hard during the week when he has to get up at 6am to go to the sitters, so I am not sure how well those days will turn out. I'll have to check in with Grandma and Tammy to see how cranky he is and when it starts for them.

It's all trial and error. Parenting that is.

We are still having a good weekend full of smiles and giggles (and meltdowns too!) despite the lack of sleep (and rain).


No comments: